Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: Calculations wrong?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2000 10:26:48 -0800

Austin Franklin wrote:

> > 240 is the PPI I use so that splits the difference and supposedly make my
> Epson
> > 1200 work less harder.
> > I'm my experience 100 is a slight underkill and 300 certainly is
> overkill.
>
> I don't remember, are you using Piezography?  I vaguely remember you
> are....since you mentioned you can't see any dots...  Piezography prints at
> some 2160DPI or something like that...  Anyway, John Cone says he
> 'believes' he sees better quality up to 720 or so input resolution...  I
> have not done any testing on this...and I don't know if he sees that with a
> loupe or from an 14" viewing distance or what...
>
> Yeah, it's all subjective ;-)

I'm no Piezographist but i guess i've been called worse! I use the MIS quadtone
inks for my black and white with a 750 Epson and heavyweights matt paper. For
larger prints on the 1200 is use regular Epson color inks.
Maybe gloss would demand a higher PPI, Austin. I would think it would. Plus more
ink. Who need it?!:)
I'll reduce my scans to 240ppi 9 inch print to fit on letter sized paper but
when I go a size up in paper it still looks good.

mark rabiner