Subject: Re: [Leica] 28mm Elmarit-R versions
From: "C & C Property" <michael@scoates.freeserve.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 18:53:01 -0000

> Farrel, Pascal and Axel
>
> Thanks guys
> I think I'll go with an early version
> and maybe upgrade later.
> Already have a 19 but it's too big!
> See Ya
> Javier

I just want to add my input to this thread, although it seems you have
already made up your mind to go for the older version of the 28mm.

I bought the latest version of the 28mm R lens about a year ago.  I find the
performance of this lens to be truly superb.  Fully open, there is a very
slight trace of vignetting which disappears by f/4.  Center definition is
already razor sharp at f/2.8, with the edge definition almost the same.
Stopping down hardly makes any improvement.  In fact, I also purchased the
famed 100/2.8 apo as well, and would be tempted to say that the 28 is
sharper overall!

In 'real' photographs, the lens shows the lovely colour saturation and is
almost totally immune to flare.  Incidentally, the lens hood can be removed
with a jewellers' screwdriver.

I have never used the older version, but have heard good things about it; I
can only assume that the current version is better at close focus(with
floating elements) and maybe slightly better at the extreme apertures.

Simon

Replies: Reply from Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com> (Re: [Leica] 28mm Elmarit-R SHARPNESS)
Message from Axel Schwieker <axel@baer.rwth-aachen.de> (Re: [Leica] 28mm Elmarit-R versions)
Message from Javier Perez <summarex@yahoo.com> (Re: [Leica] 28mm Elmarit-R versions)