Subject: Re: [Leica] leica mr meter tips
From: "Dan S" <dstate1@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 01:47:23 GMT

You have it right when you talk about giving up the meter.  If you are using
black and white or color print film the latitude of the film will make bad
exposures harder to get than good ones.

There really is no mystery to working without a meter.  Some basic rules
(for 100 asa)

Sunny day outside:  F5.6/8 at 1/500
In the shade on sunny day  F4.0 at 1.125
Bright but overcast day f5.6 at 1/250
Dim overcast day or dusk f2.8 at 1/60
Indoors:  Whatever the most light you can get is at a shutter speed you can
hand hold.  F2.0 at 1/15-1/30 for me.

You can multiply these up or down depending on the film speed you prefer.
Try working without a meter for one week.  You will be amazed at the
freedom, and the increase in your working speed.

Best Wishes
Dan States
Madison WI