Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Focus thread
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2000 16:08:40 -0500

Jim Brick jotted down the following:

> These systems are simply dumb. Photographers give them too much intelligence.
> Even those using fuzzy logic and AI use math to interpret contrast ratios and
> gray densities. Humans are much smarter than this. This is why the same lens
> touts a higher lp/mm resolution if hand focused vs if auto focused.

I agree that systems are dumb and photographers provide the intelligence,
but isn't contrast differences what all focus systems use?  Ground glass,
rangefinder patch, and autofocus?  If we look at something that doesn't have
sufficient contrast difference, we cannot tell if it is in focus or not.

If you get a higher lp/mm because the human eye is better at detecting
correct focus than the autofocus algorithms, then that STILL doesn't mean
that knowledge of the subject has anything to do with it.  How would knowing
that you're taking a picture of a car or your aunt Agda make a difference to
determining whether the hood ornament or Agda's eyes were in focus or not?

Why on earth would you have different focus algorithms for Asians and
non-Asians???  Are Asians' eye-sight better than ours??

M.

- --
Martin Howard               | "...key features are the distinctive rear
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU | lighting clusters that make the Maserati
email: howard.390@osu.edu   | 3200GT instantly recognizable to anyone
www: http://mvhoward.i.am/  | overtaken by it."  -- Maserati sales lit.