Subject: [Leica]Why a 35mm lens?
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2000 08:15:47 +0000

Alan Hull wrote:

>I find it interesting that so many luggers seem to prefer the 35mm lens.
>SNIP
>For me, I find that anything less than 50mm is an "in your face "style.

In some ways, Alan, it seems a personal space issue.  I always feel so
far away with the 50, though occasionally use it.  When I am in a
situation, whereever, I find myself positioned naturally such that 35
frames what I want in the image.  I don't know why, but there it is.  If
I have 50, I'm always conscious of needing to back up, and I feel
cramped.

H C-B did okay with a 50 and so did Robert Frank.  A very personal
thing.  If you feel comfortable and naturally situated where a 50 works
for you--that should be your lens.

donal
(who loves cutters, tolerates sloops and never sailed a ketch whose rig
he liked, though they all moved the boats in the direction pointed.)
Donal Philby
San Diego
www.donalphilby.com