Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica on wheels
From: Douglas Herr <telyt560@cswebmail.com>
Date: 9 Nov 2000 10:52:02 -0800

On Thu, 09 November 2000, "Rodgers, David" wrote:

> Tom
>
> >>Typically I just carry a IIIf and 50/3.5 in a ziplock bag in my jersey
> pocket. Probably not the smartest idea from a protection standpoint.<<
>
> If you mean protection from moisture (as in sweat) that's a problem for me
> too. I rode a century with my M6 in my jersey pocket, and I think that was
> worse on the body and lens than if I'd spent a day at the beach battling sea
> spray. I can't carry anything against my body when I ride. I do all types of
> outdoor sports, winter and summer, and cycling is one of the most difficult
> to get right in terms of attire (i.e. what to wear and how to layer). The
> Ortlieb bag sounds interesting. So you carried a 4X5 on your bike? And a
> Ries tripod? I'm impressed, and a little envious :).
> Dave

In areas where motor vehicles are verboten and I want to carry my a few long lenses, tripod, blind, etc for wildlife photos I'll use an old garage-sale bike trailer.  The blind and the padding I put in the home-made lens cases are sufficient for shock protection, and the trailer is covered for rain protection.  The trailer also provides a handy horizontal surface for putting things down while changing lenses, re-loading film, etc.  The trailer by itself is kind of hefty but when you consider the weight of 250-400-560 telyts, a couple SL bodies, tripod and blind, the trailer's weight is negligible, and it sure beats putting all that photo equipment in a backpack or strapping it somehow to the bike.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento