Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Portrait by window light
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 18:10:10 -0800

Dirk Kirchberg wrote:

> some kinda dividing line between the face and the outer world? That's the
> way I did it since the lines of the window frame formed the introduction
> into the picture.<<<<<<

Hi Dirk,

Rarely do I actually use the window framing, as my subjects are usually placed
in the room in such away to use both the lights in the room and the window
light. Or if there is more than one window I see if I can use the two or three
windows for best lighting effect at the same time.

Bottom line, I use whatever light creates the best effect on the subject. But
the window light is always dominant

Quite often I do nothing more than walk around the room looking at  my hand to
see how the light appears when I hold it so it imitates the shape of the head,
as in I make a fist, then I determine where the subject should be placed and
away we go! :-)
ted