Subject: [Leica] Diopter for Voigtlander 35mm viewfinder
From: Robert Browne <rbrowne@iopener.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2000 09:59:26 -0500

I just bought a new Voigtlander 35mm viewfinder but found that I needed a diopter lens for it to compensate for my vision. For anyone requiring a diopter for this or other similar style Voigtlander viewfinder, the following is a solution that I think works very nicely.

At B&H Photo I found a diopter made by Minolta that fits well with the Voigtlander viewfinder. The Minolta 1000 diopter (diopter for Minolta f/X series on the B&H website) is rectangular with a black plastic frame. The outer dimension of the diopter frame is 14mm X 18mm. The diopter lens is held in place on the frame with a small metal retaining clip.

In order to fit the diopter to the viewfinder, first remove the retaining clip and remove the diopter lens from the frame . Then reduce the depth of the inner part of the frame by cutting away excess material so that the frame will fit flush to the viewfinder eyepiece.  Glue the diopter lens to the frame. Before gluing the diopter to the viewfinder, check to see that the optics are clean. Point the viewfinder with the diopter held in place toward a strong light source and check for fog and flare. Clean if necessary before finally gluing the diopter to the viewfinder eyepiece. That's all there is to it.

The diopter range available is -4.0, -3.0, -2.0, -1.0, +0.5, +1.0, +1.5, +2.0, +3.0. The B&H price is $12.95 ea. I'm sure it is also available from other sources.

B&H website: http://www.bhphotovideo.com

This diopter should work for the other Voigtlander viewfinders of the same style as well including the 15mm, 25mm and 28mm.

Robert Browne