Subject: Re: [Leica] 90 F2 Summicron: M vs. R for candids
From: Rick Dykstra <rdandcb@cybermac.com.au>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 21:53:19 +1100

Dan Honemann wrote:

> How does the 90 apo M compare to the 90 R?  Or the 100/2.8 macro R?
>
> Which do you find a better choice for portrait shooting--the M or the R
> glass?
>
> I've had trouble shooting candid portraits with M glass and thought perhaps
> AF was the remedy, but it occurs to me now that what actually slows me down
> with the M in this instance is having to focus in the center, then
> recompose: in the split second of recomposing, the subject has moved!  AF
> with it's sensors would likely cause me the same problem; even servo
> wouldn't do much good if the subject's movements are herky-jerky.
>
> BUT a uniform ground glass focusing screen on an R8 would be just the
> ticket: focus anywhere on the screen without having to recompose.
>
> Determined to find justification for an R8 yet,
> Dan

Hi Dan,

it won't happen right away, but it will happen.

I'd rate the 90 Apo and the 100 APO about the same, but, I find it easier to
nail the focussing every time with the R lens when shooting portraits up
close.  But then with the R I get a higher rate of undetected blinks, so
which is better?  The M and 90 APO combo just requires a higher level of
familiarity I suppose.  Someone will say 'get yer body checked!' and I have
and its fine.  Go figure.

As for focussing with the M for close portraits, I focus approximately with
the lens barrel and sway my upper body to keep the right distance from the
subject.  When I'm happy with the image overlap, its a quick recompose and
snap.  Takes half a second.  If the subjects (children?) are too jumpy for
that to work, then its time to slow 'em down with something absorbing
(legally administered, of course).

However, your thoughts on R technique are valid and therefore you should
award yourself an R8 and 100 APO.  I'm sure you will congratulate yourself
when the results come in - a truly wonderful combination.  To think, I
bought my 100 APO without knowing how good it was.  I was going to get an
80/1.4 but changed my mind at the last minute.

Regards

Rick Dykstra