Subject: [Leica] Re:Vulcanite Maintenance
From: MEBerube <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2000 09:29:06 -0500

At 08:15 AM 11/22/00 +0000, Richard Setchim wrote:
>Doug Richardson advised Bill Satterfield on M5 vulcanite maintenance. Are
>we sure the M5 is covered with vulcanite? My (2 lug) M5 looks like it is
>covered with leather - its certainly different to my M4s which are clearly
>vulcanite. Can other M5 users confirm?

I don't yet have the M4 to compare it too but my M5 is vulcanite covered. I
didn't know for sure but the third lug was loose and I had to chip the
vulcanite off in order to tighten the two screws which hold the lug on.
(Figuring that a uniformly missing piece of vulcanite is less of a problem
than a lug that has ripped off the body because it was loose and ignored.)
Serial # 1363XXX.

Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Berube
http://www.goodphotos.com