Subject: Re: [Leica] Filter Degradation
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 00:12:42 -0800

Paul Arnold wrote:

> On my M6, 50 Summicron (my only Leica equipment) I do not use a filter, for
> protection or otherwise. I protect the lens in the bag with a screw-on cap
> and I'm just real careful with it when it's out of the bag.
>
> However, with my Hassy I have a Pro-Shade and I sometimes use a Hassy
> colored gelatin-filter while shooting b/w. The filter is no more optically
> sophisticated that a square of plastic, and is relatively cheap,
> particularly by Hassy or Leica standards.
>
> Here is my problem. After reading Tina, Ted and the gang on the light
> bending and brightness- diminishing effects of expensive, high-quality
> optical glass I wonder what insidious effect I create by hanging that square
> of cheap plastic in front of my Hassy lenses.
>
> Anybody have an opinion?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -- Paul
>
> Paul Arnold

Who me?
I'm under the impression that gelatin filters are too thin to have adverse
optical effects like thicker glass or resin filters do. They just get dirty and
when you try to clean them they get worse so the only thing to do is to replace them.
But if they are colored they are doing something functional for you and your
shot so why scorn them?
Tina, Ted and the gang are not tellling you to not use filters.
They're just saying use them for a reason. They should have a definite color
which does a number to the tonality of your film.
You're not using clear UV gelatin filters are you? Do they make such a thing?
:)
mark rabiner
:)
http://spokenword.to/rabiner/