Subject: Re: [Leica] Filter Degradation
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 06:23:25 -0800

Jean Marc Becker wrote:

> > I'm under the impression that gelatin filters are too thin to have adverse
> > optical effects like thicker glass or resin filters do. They just get dirty and
> > when you try to clean them they get worse so the only thing to do is to replace them.
> > But if they are colored they are doing something functional for you and your
> > shot so why scorn them?
>
> Gelatin filters are, optically, a true horror. They might be used only
> as contact filters, or introduced in incident light.
>
> JMB

I think there are two kinds of thin flexible filters we commonly come upon.
Kodak Gelatin filters and
Kodak color printing filters. The color printing filters you don't want in front
of a lens.
But the Gels are OK to use. I've never heard nor experienced bad things on them.
I have a few for my large format work.
mark rabiner
:)
http://spokenword.to/rabiner/