Subject: [Leica] V35 enlarger deal, Turnley book
From: Mike Johnston <michaeljohnston@ameritech.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2000 19:23:08 -0600

A heads-up, just in case anyone's interested:

I was in Helix Oak Park Camera in Oak Park, IL today, and upstairs they have
a Leica V35 enlarger with a vario-contrast module and 40mm f/2.8 Focotar
lens, all for $849. It looked to be in nice-looking condition, although I
didn't inspect it carefully. That struck me as a pretty good deal if
anyone's interested. Call Josh at Helix Oak Park Camera (Lake Street--I
don't have the number handy--call information in area code 708) and please
tell him I sent you. Incidentally, I don't have any interest in this. Josh
is a friend who manages the store. He's a working Leica user--he averages 5
assignments a week from local newspapers in addition to his full-time job at
the store. He shoots with an M2, M6, 21mm ASPH, 35mm pre-ASPH, and 90mm M
lenses.

Also, anybody interested in actual photography might want to check out Peter
Turnley's excellent new book _Parisians_. I haven't perused it yet, but at
the bookstore I thought it looked like the real deal--a long-term project
undertaken for authentic reasons (i.e., real interest in the subject) by an
experienced shooter who obviously knows a good picture when he sees one. (I
have no idea what he shot the pictures with, but I really don't think it
matters.) Check it out if you get the chance--

- --Mike