Subject: Re: [Leica] Favorite screw-mount Leicas and lenses
From: Ted Bradshaw <ted@junior60.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 11:03:24 +0000

Mike Stoesz <mstoesz@wyoming.com> wrote:

> I have recently become quite involved in acquiring and using several
> screw-mount Leicas and am curious as to whether members of this list are
> using them regularly.
>
> What are your favorite models and lenses and why?

I have a 111 and a 111f RD. I prefer the 111 for two reasons: it is slightly
smaller and therefore rather cosier in my hands, and the eyepieces for the
VF and RF are further apart than those in the 111f. Leitz brought them close
together when designing the 111b, presumably for greater convenience; but I
find that, if I am hurriedly bringing the camera to my eye for a quick
photograph, I am more likely to put the wrong eyepiece to my eye when using
the 111f because of the proximity of the eyepieces.

To me, the only disadvantage of the 111 is its top speed of 1/500 sec. There
have been times when I could have made good use of 1/1000 and had only the
Leica 111 with me. I guess I should buy a 111a!

As for my favourite lenses for use with my LTMs, I have two favourites,
both of 50mm focal length. The first is my Elmar, a coated model made in
1951 and therefore not one of the almost legendary Red Scale models. It is
sharp, has good colour saturation, a pleasing degree of contrast and imparts
a slight roundness to the image.

My other favourite is my 50mm Summar. This particular Summar is from the
1939 production batch and is uncoated. It has no internal fogging or hazing
and has a scratch-free front element. It gives more pastel-like colour than
the Elmar, is pretty sharp from about f4.5, and gives delightful soft focus
effects at wider apertures (great for pictures of my wife and daughter, for
example, or for soft, misty landscape effects etc.).

Its disadvantage is that it is extremely flare-prone when shooting into
bright light sources, although you can exploit this for photographic effect
when you are used to the lens.

A caveat regarding Summars: they do seem to have had more than their fair
share of poor quality control on the production line, and so they are best
tried and tested before purchasing. Additionally, as the front element is
made of extremely soft glass it can easily become scratched to a horrendous
degree. Do try before you buy!

I have other LTM lenses (35mm/3.5 Summaron, 50mm/2 Summitar and 90mm/4
Elmar), but the two above are my favourites.

Hope this helps.

Ted Bradshaw.