Subject: Re: [Leica] Favorite screw-mount Leicas and lenses
From: "Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy" <watteau@krakow.neurosoft.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 18:23:05 +0100

Favorite 50-s:

Jupiter 3 1.5/50 (NO OTHER lens was such sharp,
          tomorrow I will send this and one more
          lens to Michael E. Berube for a Elmar 4/90,
           so I am somewhat sad.....
          This is a "Noctilux" of LTMs - fast and sharp
          Sonnar copy, couples perfectly with RF and
          is >LIGHT< . Altough this is not a lens
          I would take on a desert island - at f/1.5
          any focusing takes a while to be exact;
          at f/4 that fast lens doesn't make sense :-)
          Sharper than Summitar till f/4.

Summitar  Marc Small repeatedly told me :) that this
          is his favourite lens. I wondered why - was
          very soft (comparing to Jupiter) wide open.
          Then I made second or third film with it.
          Wide open shots were not very sharp - twas
          what I anticipated - but then I looked at
          photos made in cafe - saw beautifully
          reproduced lights - like real lights
          when you wake up and see everything out
          of focus and like that - like everything
          is a small round dot of light...
          This is my second favourite lens and most
          favourite 50mm.

Industar 22 3.5/50 - Elmar copy? At least Tessar
           derivative. Very sharp at the center,
          soft at corners... At f/4 as sharp as Summitar,
          then Summitar wins hands down..
          This is a good lens. Small, enoughly fast
          for street shooting - you don't need
          faster lens - at 50 mm you never have enough
          DOF, regardless of aperture set.. :-)

Jupiter 12  2.8/35 - THIS is my personal favorite.
          SMALL, has built-in lens hood, LIGHT,
          SHARP x 3, has marvellous contrast and pretty image,
          especially compared to all those Voigtlanders.. :-)
          But has a noticeable flare... Don't try to use it
          to photograph street lanterns....
          At 35 mm it has massive DOF, pretty perspective
          and looks nice (black) :-)

Favourite SM Leicas:
          Two IIIc from someone who saw my letter on LUG and
          sent me them along with Summitar, Hektor,
          lot of literature... ..and gave me the hope
          that people are born good - only
          life forces them sometimes in bad directions.. :-)

- -----
                                St.
                              LeSabre
                     (Stanislaw B.A. Stawowy)