Subject: [Leica] Re: detachable lens element
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 07:18:35 EST

<<

I'm new to Leica and have a question.  I have been offered a 35mm Summilux

(pre ASPH version).  It has some marks on the outside but the glass is mint.

However, when I tried to take the cap off, the entire lens element became

loose.  Is it normal?  How can it be fixed.  Thanks in advance for your

help.

Gilbert

Do you find that the shade mounts crooked on the lens? This is often the
first sign that the lens has this problem.

This is a pretty common problem with those lenses. You can have Don Goldberg
re-cement it pretty cheaply. If you need his number, just email me and I'll
send it. He has done this for me relatively cheaply and quickly...

On the bright side, long ago I had one of these lenses with a loose front
element and I just kept screwing it back in and taking pics. with it. It
always worked fine despite what purists might say. ;-)

cheers,
Rich