Subject: [Leica] Noct 50 f1.0 and f1.2
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 17:59:14 EST

<<

Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2000 23:30:31 +0800

From: "Lee Yan Zhan" <yzlee@cyberway.com.sg>

Dear Luggers,

Has anyone critically compared the difference between this 2 lens?  I've

taken pictures at full aperture(1.0, 1.2 & even 2.0) with Tri-X on both and

is having trouble distinguishing one from the other.

Any experiences??

Cheers,

Lee

Fellow LUGGER from Singapore>>

Lee,

About a year ago I did indeed do this ...I compared the 50f1.0 with the
50f1.2 (with the two asph. Surfaces) and the 35f1.4 ASPH 1st version and 2nd
version.

My conclusions in shooting life scenes (my girlfriend holding a newspaper)
and some resolution charts that were available at the time was that:

1. The Noctilux 1.0 and 1.2 were exactly the same. Hardly a difference could
be seen even at 20x magnifications! Tonally they were slightly
different...but not drastically so.

2. The current 35f1.4 ASPH beat the 35f1.4 1st version as far as I could
tell. The comma was better as was the tonal range...which seemed to me to be
much different.

I will look and see if I can find the slides we shot for these tests and
perhaps I can have them scanned. More later...

cheers,

Rich