Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:Ansel Adams
From: Ted <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 05 Dec 2000 21:50:41 -0800

"A.H.SCHMIDT" wrote in response to::

> Dean Chance wrote:A
>
> > You guys keep joking around about this f/1 group, but I think it's really a
> > terrific idea. Organize a project! Put together an exhibition! Nighttime is
> > the righttime! Figure out a way to shoot f/1 in blazing daylight. Let's go!

> "A.H.SCHMIDT"  responded:

> different at night. Depth of field at night is often not at all important.
> Especially where you wantto do hand held shots. E.G. in pubs, theaters or shop
> windows in the evening. At least that's what I found. I reckon, that's what the
> Noctilux was created for.

> All your concentration is points to one spot only. what's before or behind seems
> not really important. An exception may be a night time shot of a city or similar.
> But then you use a tripod and f8 with 30 sec.
>
> In daytime, shooting with F1, doesn't seem to make much sense, unless you want to
> make a portrait with only part of the  face in focus. I have seen shots like this
> and they can look quite impressive. however for other shots in daylight i would
> say, you need to have some depth of field, to get at least some hint as to the fore
> or background.<<<<<<<<<

Hi Horst,

Well the interesting thing with the Noctilux at high noon is to keep in mind you are
using it as though you're shooting at "high midnight!" :-)

I started doing some shooting in broad daylight with the Nocti @ f.1.0 which was
accomplished with slow B&W film, Fuji ASA 32. Of course I still had to use a (heavens
should I admit it) :-)  a ND 2X filter on my ever lovin' Noctilux. :-)

But it's quite interesting, as the scene is so changed,  that it gives an almost
ethereal feeling to the images somewhat like those photographs of the early '30's.

I think the key to using the f 1.0 during the day is the use of really slow film and
an ND filter, as offensive as some of us may think of the filter. But then most folks
are not against the filter if it's there for aspecial effect and not some idea of
protection.

Where in this case it is used for...." the effect!" and not protection!. During the
high noon of the day!

ted

Message from "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au> (Re: [Leica] Re:Ansel Adams)