Subject: [Leica] Beware! Leica USA's deceptive practice. Part I
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 19:12:54 EST

<<<

Date: Fri, 8 Dec 2000 16:09:34 -0500

From: louzan@juno.com

A month and a half ago, I purchased a New 50mm Summicron-m.  The dealer

told me that the lens carried the 3-year passport warranty, and that I

was eligible for the $150 manufacturer rebate.  leica faxed him a rebate

form, after confirming that the rebate had been extended to Jan. 2001.

I filled the warranty card, made copies of the rebate slip and sales

receipt, and sent them to Leica USA.  Imagine my surprise when I receive

an envelope from Leica USA containing the copies I sent them, all

scribbled, saying that the lens is not eligible for rebate since it is

old stock.

 I called Leica USA.  I was told that yes indeed that was the case, and

that it was most likely an honest mistake by the dealer.  They could not

even tell me if the passport was good for two or three years.  Mistake or

not, I explained to them that under no circumstance would I had purchased

this lens knowing it was not eligible for rebate.  They said that

unfortunately they could not do anything, and that I should contact the

dealer.

Now before I purchased this lens two dealers told me that it was eligible

for rebate.  Even Leica's rebate form faxed to the dealer fails to

mention this.  I think I have every right to be pissed off and I will

take Leica USA to small claims court if necessary.  More when the dealer

gets back to me.

Robert>>>

I read this thread with great interest! Please tell me how old the lens was
and the first three digits of the serial number if you would.

I would like to find out if any of my "old stock" isn't any longer eligible
for passport warranty. I don't quite understand why there is any time limit
attached to it...but I'd be curious to see what Leica gives the "yea" or
"nay" to so I don't end up in the same predicament some time with a customer.
OTOH, I would just take it back and sell it again as "Mint in box"! <g>

BTW, is it the latest style of given lens?

cheers,
Rich