Subject: Re: [Leica] Film for school play
From: "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 09:40:56 -0800

My experience,after 8 years of High School drama and choir attendance, has
been that school auditoriums are very poorly lit, so I recommend that you
carry a few rolls of TMAX 3200 just in case, and expose it at whatever speed
rating you need.  Remember, the play is moving, so you have to have enough
shutter speed to stop action and enough DOF to make up for focusing accuracy
with moving subjects.  Also, take some  meter readings comparing brightness
at different parts of the stage.  Even with all the lights on, I have often
seen a 2 stop drop-off towards the sides of the stage, so when you are
following moving actors, the exposure requirements are changing.  The AV
kids like to point all the lights at the middle!  A spot meter is also
helpful, because you may have a brightly lit subject against a black
background, throwing your reading way off.  I have often said to my wife
while we have been at school performances, that if I were more wealthy I'd
give the school a grant for stage lighting so it would make my hobby easier!

Tom Schofield