Subject: Re: [Leica] What is fine art photography?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2000 15:36:55 -0800

><Snip> "documentary photography" do. particularly interesting to me are those
> photographers whose work bears the mark of two or more such modalities,
> salgado for example (photojournalism and art photography).
>
> guy

Could the difference between  "art photography" and  "commercial photography" be
who's buying?
When your client is GM or GE you are doing commercial photography.
When your client is Joes Gallery you are doing Art photography.
Joe the art director? Or Joe the Gallery owner or collector.

Here's the trick question:
When Michelangelo (Buonarroti) worked for the Pope (Rex Harrison) was he
therefore doing commercial photography?
Don't look to me for the answer he obviously was doing Art with a capital A. As
in David with a capital D.
I guess we are always working for the landlord. Always ones biggest souse of inspiration/perspiration...

mark rabiner
:)

Message from Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch> (Re: [Leica] What is fine art photography?)
Message from Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net> (Re: [Leica] What is fine art photography?)