Subject: [Leica] Re: Rapidload kit
From: "Stephen Holloway" <hollowst@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2000 17:38:05 +0100

>From: Alan Magayne-Roshak <amr3@csd.uwm.edu>
>
>I tried a rapid load kit once, and it was more trouble than the standard M3
>think the regular way is better (you have to pull the spool either way to
>reset the counter, so what's the advantage?).
>
>Alan M-R

You're walking in the street (hey, I do a lot of street photography) and you
want to change the film.

Original loading:

Flip the baseplate off, old film falls out, put in your pocket. Turn the
camera upside down in your left hand, hold the baseplate between 3rd and 4th
fingers pull the spool out, it's in your right hand - oops, you just ran out
of hands. Stop, put some stuff down and you know the rest.

Rapidload:

Flip the baseplate off, old film falls out, put in your pocket. Flip the
spool out a few mm and replace it. Position the slot (either when you
replace it or with the wind lever). You've now got a situation much like an
M6. The camera and baseplate in you left hand and your right hand to get the
film out of your pocket and then insert into the camera in the usual way
(you're still walking as well!).

That's why I like the rapidload kit - it's just so much faster.

BTW, somebody mentioned that an M3 could be converted to M4 style loading
for about $200, is this right? Auto reset of the film counter too? This
would certainly be the best solution. Anyone in Europe doing that?

- --
Stephen Holloway
http://www.deepturtle.com/steve/photos