Subject: Re: [Leica] Cleaning Mark Optical Effect
From: "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 04:55:09 -0500

JAvier-
The efect of 'cleaning marks' seems to be a recurring topic, and someone had
mentioned that the ones on the FRONT of a lens are not as detrimental to the
image formation as those on e the BACK elements. I have always taken that as
an empirical observation, but would like to know for sure!
I had a Summarit, and it had about as near perfect glass as you could want,
but I sold it as it was in a M mount, and I wanted an LTM lSummarit so I
could use it on the LTMs as well. The second one has a few small marks, but
the image produced is the same as far as I can tell.
I think that a modest number of sharply define cleaning marks or scratches
effect the image about as much as a normally found bubble or inclusion in
the glass. The percentage of the overall image forming surface is so small
as to be inconsequential. The only thing that really adversely affects the
image, in my experience, is the so called 'haze' or fog from the grease that
migrates to the lens surface. A good cleaning DOES, make a world of
difference!
For me, who uses Tri-X or HP5, the difference between the Summarit and the
Summilux was not detectable, so I sold the Summilux, and kept the Summarit!
It is a really good optic, despite the nay-sayers, and if professionally
cleaned and lubed, this mature design will be usable for a long time to
come. Besides, the Summarit lens hood looks SO COOL!!
Dan (Have IIIf RD with Summarit, will travel) Post