Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo shop ?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2000 16:45:48 -0800

Dan Post wrote:

> IF you got Photoshop 5 LE like a friend of mine did, when he got his
> scanner, he simply upgraded to PS 6.0 for about $299!
> Got the full version, too!
> Dan

I found this: (on 5)

Photoshop 5.5 has all of the functions in 5LE and more.

Photoshop 5LE has:

No File portability
Cannot import full version PSD files, PDFs, EPSs, and TIFFs, and JPEGs - it
does support PDF, but ONLY a PDF created by LE, same for PSD
No import for Illustrator, PostScript, and Acrobat files

DOES NOT support ANY colour management whatsoever
No support for CMYK, Lab, Duotone, Multichannel, spot color
No Color separations
No Channel palette or editing
No Advanced color correction features

No Guides and Grids - those pull-down lines to help you line up objects
It has gamma problem - colours do NOT display right, they ALWAYS print
darker, no matter what!... even on a colour-calibrated system.

No Adjustment Layer command (cannot import Adjustment Layers or effects
layers created with full-version)
No Live text, color adjustment, and effects layers, etc
No Paths palette, commands, or tools - no vector path tools
No multiple undo, only one undo
No History palette
No Actions palette
No Alpha channel support

No Pattern Stamp tool
No Vertical Type tool
No V. Type Mask tool
No Art History Brush tool
No Radial Gradient tool
No Angle Gradient tool
No Reflected Gradient tool
No Diamond Gradient tool
No Color Sampler tool
No Background Eraser tool
No Magic Eraser tool
No Measure tool

No Batch processing
No animation for Web
No JavaScript rollovers for Web
No Image slicing for Web
No Image size/quality optimization for Web

No File > Automate... etc... commands
No File > Save for Web command
No File > Place command
No File > Info command
No File > Jump To command

No Edit > Define Pattern command
No Edit > Transform > Distort
No Edit > Transform > Perspective
No Edit > Transform > Numeric command
No Edit > Transform > Skew command
   (it only has Size and Rotate commands)
No Edit > Free Transform command

No Image > Adjust > Auto Contrast command
No Image > Adjust > Desaturate command
No Image > Adjust > Replace Color command
No Image > Adjust > Selective Color command
No Image > Adjust > Channel Mixer command
No Image > Apply Image command
No Image > Calculations command
No Image > Rotate Canvas > Arbitrary command
No Image > Trap command
No Image > Extract command

No Layer > New > Adjustment Layer
No Layer > Layer Options command - you can only change the layer's name &
opacity
No Layer > Effects... etc... commands
No Layer > Type... etc... commands
No Layer > Adjustment Options command
No Layer > Matting > Defringe... etc commands

No Select > Color Range command
No Select > Transform Selection command
No Select > Load Selection command
No Select > Save Selection command

No View > Preview... etc... commands
No View > Gamut Warning command
No View > Hide Path command
No View > Hide Guides command
No View > Snap to Guides command
No View > Lock Guides command
No View > Clear Guides command
No View > Show Grid command
No View > Snap to Grid command

No Wizards to "Export Transparent Image" or "Resize Image"

Mark Rabiner
I'm sure it's a differnt ballgame with 6. I'm loving 6 by the way.

Message from MEBerube <MEB@goodphotos.com> (Re: [Leica] Photo shop ?)
Message from Greg Locke <locke@straylight.ca> (Re: [Leica] Photo shop ?)
Message from "Dan Post" <dpost@triad.rr.com> (Re: [Leica] Photo shop ?)