Subject: Re: [Leica] 50 summicron
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 10:58:31 -0800

>Just back from a few days at Brian Stevens' place in London, where I also
>met up with John Brownlow to discuss our plans to achieve universal
>domination. Unfortunately we've had to reschedule our assumption of power
>by a couple of months, but despite this disappointment we had a nice time
>wondering in the gloom of London. Brian has just recently bought a 50
>summicron, as I did also a couple of months ago, and we were both noting
>how disappointed we are with the results. There's a definite feel/look to
>the new 35 asphs which leaves the 50/2 for dead. Brian uses the 35/2 and I
>use the 35/1.4. If I have understood Erwin's comments on the 50/2, it has
>excellent resolution etc but my feeling is that the newer lenses have a
>much greater _perceived_ sharpness. Put slides from the 50 next to the
>35/1.4 or 24/2.8 asphs and they really look soft and wishywashy. Well,
>that's what I felt, anyway, does anyone have the same/conflicting feelings?
>Meanwhile, Happy Christmas and so on.
>Rob.
>Robert Appleby

rob,

i use the 35/2 asph and the 50/2 and while i won't say that the 50
summicron can rival the 35 ashp for sharpness wide open, i do like the look
of the 50 wide open, which is, imo, quite beautiful and concedes nothing to
the 35 in its rendition of the out of focus areas and in its ability to
make the subject "pop," as it were.

i love the crispness of the aspherical lenses (in addition to the 35
summicron, i also use the 24), but am also a great fan of the non-aspherics
i currently shoot with (50 summicron, 90 elmarit, even the summarit!). i
continue to get shots with them that i am more than happy with.

guy