Subject: Re: [Leica] 50 summicron
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 11:14:12 -0800

>As for the Summicron 50 question, I have to agree. The smoothness and
>slightly undercorrected spherical aberrations of the 50 leave it with
>a creamy tonality that at times makes its images seem less crisp than
>those of the newer lenses. The 35/1.4 and 90 ASPH certainly have a
>clarity that makes the 50 Summi look a bit older, if not less sharp.
>
>Henning J. Wulff

henning,

it's just that "creamy tonality" that i find so appealing (occasionally see
it in shots made with the summarit). and it was just that quality, which i
first got in a few lowlight portraits made with an m6/50 summicron, that
sold me on leica glass.

now, if i need edge to edge crispness and have to shoot wide open, i'll go
with the 35 summicron asph or the 24. but for that other look - creamy,
lyrical, whatever - i'll grab that 50/2 without a moment's hesitation.

guy

Message from Robert Appleby <robert.appleby@tin.it> ([Leica] 50 summicron)