Subject: Re: [Leica] 50 summicron
From: Mike Quinn <mlquinn@san.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 11:42:06 -0800

My experience also.  (But I've always thought that short teles were easier
to make well than 50 or anything wider).

I think, as you suggest, that the allure of the 35 is largely due to its
being much more forgiving than the 50 and 90. When in focus and used at
appropriate shutter speeds, the 50 images are very hard to beat.

Of course the more forgiving lens usually produces the best pictures in
harsh environments.

The many compromises of my first generation 35 'cron  are light loss and
major loss of resolution away from the center of the frame. These problems
are annoying in landscapes, but much less important in fast moving
situations when the subject is centered, the background unimportant, and I
don't have time to frame and focus a longer lens.

Maybe if I had a 35 ASPH I'd try more landscapes...