Subject: Re: [Leica] M5 questions
From: "Bruce Bowman" <b.bowman@delkergrid.com>
Date: Mon, 25 Dec 2000 15:25:00 -0800

Don,

I did it the other way about 6 mos. ago. That is, bought an M6 to accompany
my M5 purchased about 25 years ago.

I did this despite much advice to the contrary from this list and even
Sherry.

First off, my instruction book is long gone, but if you check the archives
here, there are sources for .pdfs for them. If you have any specific
questions I will be happy to answer them.

For my shooting the M5 is the quintessential available darkness camera. It's
meter sensitivity, coupled with its narrow acceptance angle is of great
comfort. Coupled with a noctilux, I have some incredible low light
photographs of family and friends at holidays. Load up with some 400 or 800
and have at it! My M5 probably has never seen a flash.

The dial on the back is simply a film reminder, nothing more.

The reason many cautioned me from getting an M6 is the difference in
operation between the more classic Leica, M6 (2,3,4) and the 5. My 5 was my
first new camera, so I am very used to it. Because I use it for low light
photography almost exclusively, it's different feel is actually another
signal that this camera is different. Kind like the black vs. chrome bodies
people use to distinguish between cameras.

The other thing I love about my 5 is the strap lugs. (I have a 2 lug
version) I can easily carry my 5 and my 6 with me anywhere, never confused,
and out of each others way, and when I need my low light camera, I just
reach to my side. For a strap, I use a Domke. The nylon part of the strap
fits perfectly in the lugs. I use a wide Domke on the 5 and a narrow one on
the 6 (again to distinguish when I am in a rush.

I've got to run now, we're going to a friends for dinner, where I am certain
to shoot a couple of rolls tonight.

Bruce Bowman
Kilingworth CT