Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Bokeh controversy
From: Martin Howard <howard.390@osu.edu>
Date: Wed, 27 Dec 2000 21:38:06 -0500

Jim Brick jotted down the following:

> M.  You completely missed my point. The point of the entire post.

Then perhaps you should have stated it more clearly.  It appeared to me, who
is of normal intelligence and average native English reading ability, that
the point of your message was that taking bokeh into consideration would
require additional lenses (based presumably on the unstated assumption that
lenses with good bokeh are necesarily different from any other lenses one
might own) that must be brought with the photographer at any time he/she
wishes to go out and take pictures.

My point was that many people already have duplicates of focal length or
equipment -- sometimes in different formats -- which are chosen depending
upon what the picture-taking scenario is.  We very rarely, if ever, haul all
our gear, but rather choose those pieces suitable for a given situation.
Why should this situation be any different?  If you're going to take
sweeping landscapes where everything is pin-sharp in focus, then obviously
bringing along that 1960's 90mm Summicron for its bokeh is going to be a
little superfluous and the more compact and lighter 90mm APO-ASPH would
probably be a better choice.

M.

- --
Martin Howard                     |
Visiting Scholar, CSEL, OSU       | People don't like to be parameters
email: howard.390@osu.edu         | in an equation.

Replies: Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Re: Bokeh controversy)