Subject: [Leica] Leicaflex vs Leica R
From: Akhil Lal <akhil.lal@bcc.cuny.edu>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2000 03:26:04 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I do realise that the "feel" of a camera is subjective and very much a
matter of personal taste, thus my preferences might not suit Doug and
vice versa. As an example, the brightness of the SL finder does not sway
me, but TTL flash metering on the R 7 does. Having said that, I have to
side with Javier on this issue.

I have owned numerous Leicaflexes since '79 and still own several,
ranging from the Mk. II to the SL2. As objects in of themselves, these
cameras are unequalled, except by, perhaps, Contarexes (Ed Meyers: If
you are still on the list please do us the honour of posting a few of
your Contarex jokes), but in use I find them to be clunky. I much prefer
the ergonomics of the R bodies over the Leicaflexes.  When I got my
first R-3 in '81 or so, I found it was far easier to use and had a
better "feel" in use than my SL. As the years went by, and I purchased
additional R bodies, the 'flexes were used less and less. I now have two
R-7's and have not used the Leicaflexes for many years. Perhaps when
Little Jr. turns ten I'll set him up with a Mk II and a 50 mm summicron
as a serious starter outfit.

Yes LUG'ers, Javier is quite right. Leicaflexes really do look nice on
the shelf. And you can keep them in good health by occasionally fitting
a 50 Summilux, loading Kodachrome, dressing them up in the beautiful
burgundy eveready case and taking them for a walk in the park...

Regards,
Akhil