Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: 90mm recommendations?
From: Dante Stella <dante@umich.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 22:13:26 -0500 (EST)

Having tried a few out (as in all of the below), I settled on the <gasp>
Hexanon 90/2.8. It's cheap enough to buy new, is devilishly sharp, but it
doesn't have harsh bokeh  and like all of the K***** line it is basically
designed around classic bokeh.  The nice thing about it with an M3 (which
is what I use it with most of the time) is that between the HM finder of
the body and the relatively fast focus twist of the lens makes it a snap,
so to speak.

And as between K and current L 90/2.8, it's a dead heat.  The Elmarit has
a longer throw for focusing.  If you saw the two together, and you
couldn't read the nameplates, you would have a very hard
time distinguishing K from L.  Nor would your finished product know the
difference.  Main differences: different leather case; different cap;
different grip pattern.  Otherwise, same weight, same size, same layout,
same color scheme, same materials.  I give a slight edge in finish to the
K because (1) it has no black specs in the glass (flaking paint) and (2)
doesn't have wear around the screw holes like the Elmarits tend to exhibit
(you can actually see this in one of the catalogs).

The Leica is a great lens in its own right, but very $$$.  Pretty much the
pinnacle of 90s.  But it's no bargain, whether new or used.

Then you get the best performance for money lenses: 105/2.5 Nikkor (under
$500) then the 85/2 Nikkor (under $500).  From what I have been able to
tell, these are about as good as anything until the Elmarit-M 90.  The 105
is well worth departing from the 90mm length.  It is just a spectacular
lens.  The Nikon stuff is creeping up in price: the 85/2 is running over
$500 now, and Samy's just listed a 105 for $895.  User lenses are much
cheaper as long as you don't need MIOJ.

The next tier down is Leica 90s of older vintage, like the 90/4.  Cheaper
but slow.

Then come the cheapo 85/2s - the Jupiter, the Canon, etc.  Not bad lenses,
and many are Sonnars.  Although they may have some appeal due to their
really low price, at 2.8 the newer 90/2.8s are sharper than the older
85/2s at 2.8.

Cheers
Dante Stella