Subject: Re: [Leica] Comparison of Leica SLR and Contax SLR Systmes
From: lucien <director@ubi.edu>
Date: Sat, 06 Jan 2001 19:07:17 +0100

"Steven A. Melnyk" wrote:

> I am confused by this response -- How does the R system have a future?
> There was an extensive report in Business Week about the financial and
> strategic problems being encountered by Leitz.  Contax has just introduced
> the N-1 and it now  offers two AF approaches -- the AX and the N-1.  How
> does the R system have a future?  I know that this is a naive question, but
> bear with me.

Steven,

- - Since the announcement of the Contax N1, the previous (sleepy) Contax SLR
System is virtually dead.

- - For the moment there are 4 lenses available for the N1, plus 2 in the near
future.

- - Hermes just bought 30 % of Leica-Camera.
That's means that all the reports you can read, are about the past. They know
nothing about the future of Leica.
Nobody knows, but until now, Hermes was always very successful with its
investments.

- - Leica was (and still is) more active in the design of new lenses than Zeiss
was (or is) for Contax 35mm SLR.
The average age of the Contax lenses design speaks for itself.

- - BTW, it's Leica Camera AG and not Leitz since more than 10 years.

Anyway, we will have to wait to be sure...

Lucien

Replies: Reply from "Wilber Jeffcoat" <wilber@jeffcoatphotography.com> (Re: [Leica] Comparison of Leica SLR and Contax SLR Systmes)
Message from "Steven A. Melnyk" <melnyk@msu.edu> (Re: [Leica] Comparison of Leica SLR and Contax SLR Systmes)