Subject: [Leica] Re: b/w printing renaissance
From: "Rodgers, David" <david.rodgers@xo.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 15:36:34 -0600

Jim

>>Right on Dave... way to go! The difference may be a renewed appreciation
of
how real prints are made and what they look like. There's noting like the
genuine article! And your new techniques surely helped.<<

Thanks for the kind words. I spent yesterday evening scanning a landscape
that I had earlier printed chemically. Worked with both neg and print. Used
paper with a similar finish, and quadtone inks.  I never could equal the
chemical print. It had a depth that I couldn't duplicate. Surprisingly, it
took less time to make a print in the darkroom than digitally.

I believe both digital and darkroom printing have a place. I also like the
variety of working with both. It's educational and even inspires creativity.

Mark Rabiner recently made an interesting predicton at the coffee shop.  He
said that digital will draw more people into photography. Some of those
people will also try darkroom printing. Thus there will be a resurgence in
chemical as well. I hope so. There's a place for both. Just like there's a
place for both b/w and color, rangefinders and slrs, etc.

Dave