Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Archival of digital images
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 13:32:04 -0800

I've had a CD writer for quite a number of years (I'm on my third one
now) and I've seen the media prices go from $20 to less than $.50.
I've had good media, bad media, media that could only be read in
certain drives etc. The only stuff that has worked consistently well
is gold surfaced media.

Unfortunately, the only media that I've seen that always has a gold
surface is Kodak's, and it usually costs 2-4x what the cheapest
costs. But it seems really inexpensive compared with buying a stack
of 50 or 100 CD's that don't verify properly, or cause other problems.

I also recently ran into another problem. I bought some Maxell CD-R
700Mb which say on the box 'Branded Gold Surface'. However, the
actual color is blue-green, which in my experience is usually the
worst. They seem to work OK at present, but I'm not putting anything
on them that I want to see in 25 years.

I'm going to stick to Kodak media from now on.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
  /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com