Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital Image File Formats
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 16:58:05 -0800

At 4:11 PM -0600 1/14/01, Henry Ambrose wrote:
>  >Dave, I use something called Genuine Fractals. It is a Photoshop plug-in
>>that allows you to store images in a compressed form, open them at any size
>>without the loss of quality that comes with upscaling in photoshop. You need
>>about a 20 meg file for it to work at its best which then compresses to
>>10-15megs. Once opened you can convert the file into any format you want via
>>photoshop 'save as' command. Tina manley put me on to it (thanks Tina). I
>>also use Vuescan which stops me using crazy resolutions. I normally scan in
>>Vuescan using 16bit grayscale, to about 11x16 inches with a res of about
>>340/360. When I've adjusted levels/curves in PS I then convert to 8bit
>>grayscale which leaves a file of about 20meg for GF to compress. There is a
>>demo at www.genuinefractals.com
>>
>>Julian
>
>With due respect:
>
>Long term, I think this is a bad idea.
>
>What if the publisher of Genuine Fractals goes out of business?
>Their little corner of the market is small compared to TIFF which is
>standard.
>Or they fail to support new operating systems?
>Sometimes I feel a little out on a limb with .psd (Photoshop native)
>Go with the most standard format you can.
>
>Space is not the problem it has been and the situation will only get
>better.
>
>Henry

TIFF is probably the safest, but the highest level of JPEG (this is
offered in Photoshop and some other programs) is also a lossless
format and saves a little space. This has come up on various
discussions, and after some research I trust it. Adobe says this is
so, and so do various individuals who work with this daily. But it
still is not as universal as TIFF.

- --
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design