Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Archival of digital images
From: Henry Ambrose <henryambrose@home.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 11:24:06 -0600

>On 14-01-2001 06:52, Adam Bridge wrote:
>
>>Always use the disks with the gold-colored back, not the blue-green
>>cheapies.
>>
>>DVD-R will be even better, on the order of 100 years.
>
>Adam,
>
>this is interesting information.
>
>I didn't know the color of the sensitive layer was important.
>
>I am using Imation (3M) CD-R disks which have a silver (maybe a little
>blue-ish) color. I pay 25 BEF for one Imation CD-R over here (this
>translates into about 58 cents). Other brands like Fuji and Sony are
>considerably more expensive. Imation CD-RW costs 99 BEF (2.3 dollars).
>
>Where can one find confirmation of this?
>What brands are you using?
>
>TIA
>
>Pascal
When CDRs first came on the market there were only two or three
manufacturers making them. They stayed close to standards when making
them. As the market opened up more companies around the world started
making CDRs. Often mfg standards and quality control were altered in the
interest of making more money. This often shows up in house brand CDRs
which are commodity products and often bought from various vendors and
then sold under one label. I suggest you stay away from these if you want
permanence.

Buy disks from companies who actually make them. Taiyo Yuden, Mitsui,
Kodak are all excellent. There may be others that I am not aware of. The
color of the layers is not important. Disks from any of the three
mentioned will last. In a few years if your archives  are important to
you you can rewrite them to the 1,000GB disks that are coming.

This fall we may see DVD type disks that will hold lots of pictures!
look at this:
http://cnet.com/consumerelectronics/0-1577332.html?tag=st.cn.1.tlpg.1577332

Right now CD is the way because it is so universal and can be read on
most any recently made computer. Later you can migrate to whatever is the
favored option of the time.

Henry Ambrose

Replies: Reply from "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com> (Re: [Leica] OT: Archival of digital images)