Subject: [Leica] Re: Epson 1640SU
From: Douglas Cooper <douglas@dysmedia.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 17:43:25 -0800

> Just as I was thinking that USB scanners + Macintosh = Trouble, along comes
> the Epson Perfection 1640SU SCSI/USB flatbed scanner, and it works like a
> charm, and it's fast too. For a bit more money, you can get it with a
> transparency adaptor which handles MF and 4x5 (I haven't tried this).

I've been scanning 4x5's with this scanner, and the results are excellent.
Mind you, I haven't been printing the files yet; simply viewing them (at
extremely high resolutions) onscreen.   The scanner is certainly good enough
to scan 35mm, transparencies and negatives, if you intend to put them on a
Web site.  I've even scanned one-hour film lab prints -- quite bad ones,
including blue-tinted prints from dye-based monochrome films -- and doctored
them in Photoshop so that they're indistinguishable on my Web site from less
primitive sources.  If you want to see 4x5 images from this scanner, click
on the "Dysmedia" link on my site; I document all of my painting with large
format transparencies (which tend to impress galleries more than does 35mm,
even if the reaction is subliminal).

I have yet to scan anything at 1600dpi, as it's not necessary for my
purposes; and many reviews of the earlier version, the 1200U, suggested that
there wasn't much of an  improvement from 600 to 1200.

cheers,

Douglas Cooper
http://www.dysmedia.com