Subject: [Leica] Re: Elmars, sepia on computer screens
From: Douglas Cooper <douglas@dysmedia.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2001 20:07:22 -0500

On 1/25/01 4:41 PM, Leica Users digest expressed the following:

> I have NOT used the 3 element, but I know it is quite a collectors item, and
> therefore not worth the cost for actual USERS.
>
> By the way, the photos on the web site are great!

Thanks!  I've been putting up my commercial work recently, as I hope to use
the Web site as a virtual portfolio.  Now it's time to put up some of the
strange stuff...

I've just figured out, by the way, that sepia tones look much better than
black & white on my computer monitor.  I think it has to do with degrees of
contrast -- I seem to get more zones out of tinted images.  I'm working on a
flat panel -- it would be interesting to know whether others have found this
with conventional monitors.

(If you're interested in getting nice sepia tones from a monochrome file, go
into Photoshop menu and select  Image> Adjust> Selective Colors.  Add about
13 degrees of yellow and 13 of red -- which you do by pushing the sliders
*away* from yellow, then away from red.  Perhaps this is obvious to seasoned
users, but it's my discovery of the day.)

cheers,

Douglas Cooper
http://www.dysmedia.com