Subject: Re: [Leica] LHSA Meeting
From: "Steve LeHuray" <icommag@toad.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 13:38:41 -0500

>>Bill and any others why do you want to be in the suburbs?
>>For vacations don't you want a taste of reality?
>>

> Hotels in downtown are more costly, they usually charge for parking.  I
> usually rent a car.  When I went to Denver to help make the arrangements
> there I was panhandled three times in about a fifteen minute walk right in
> downtown.  Is this the enviroment we want to subject our members,
> especially the older ones to?  Another thing is security, while on that
> walk in Denver I never saw athe first Denver policeman.  Remember many
> members have thousands of dollars worth of Leicas in their rooms.
>
> The beer at the sidewalk cafe-pubs was wonderful though.  I enjoy
> mini-breweries.
>
> I realize there are many benefits of going downtown.  I love downtown
> Chicago but the place in the suburb was very nice.  I am not totally
> against downtown and will work on locating the convention where the
> officers of LHSA instruct me to.  I work from the appointment of the
> president and will do whatever possible to carry out his wishes.
>
> Hopefully we will be in Portland in 2001.
>
> Bill Grimwood

1. Hotels in downtown are more costly, they usually charge for parking. I
usually rent a car.

    Do not rent a car. Take free shuttle from airport to downtown hotel. Big
    $$$ saving.

2. Panhandeled three times in a fifteen walk.

    Just give them a quarter or ignore them they won't hurt you

3. Is this the environment we want to subject our members to.

    When did the LHSA ever ask their members opinion on anything?

4. Another thing is security......many members have thousands of dollars
worth of Leicas in their rooms.

    Issue 4 sort of washes out issue one...,no?

Sadly Bill represents the thinking at the LHSA top level. It would be great
if the LHSA would sent out a questionaire to the members to see what we
would like to get for our annual dues.

I would like to suggest:

     .An improved Viewfinder, move from quarterly to bi-monthly and accept
advertising.
    .Get a second-class mail permit for Viewfinder.
    .Hire a art director for Viewfinder. Graphically it looks like a cheap
newsletter from the '60's.
    .Get rid of that dumb catalog and put the ads in Viewfinder.
    A much better website with regular updates.
    .Have a forumn for member feedback.
    .Figure a way to get rid of that ol' boy image.
    .Hold the Annual Meeting downtown.
    .Have regional meetings.

Steve
Annapolis