Subject: [Leica] Cartier-Bresson Chafes Over Photographs of His Well-Guarded Face
From: Matt Kollasch <matthew.kollasch@uni.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 08:51:48 -0600

In Today's NY Times:

By ALAN RIDING
PARIS, Feb. 4 —
"Henri Cartier-Bresson is arguably the most famous photographer alive, a
tall, elegant Frenchman who at 92
still accepts the occasional portrait assignment. Among colleagues,
however, the master of the 'intimate decisive moment,' as his
photographic signature became known, is also famous for hating to be
photographed himself. 'I spent all my life trying to be unknown, to
disappear, to be able to observe,' he eplained some years ago..."

For the complete article see:
http://www.nytimes.com/2001/02/08/arts/08ARTS.html?pagewanted=all

However, I must share my favorite lines:

"Ms. Franck responded, 'Someone came at him with a flash.'
Mr. Cartier-Bresson added, 'A flash is like rape.'"

Tomorrow I leave for a holiday in Paris ... If I see HCB, I promise, "no
rape."  :-) /matt

Replies: Reply from "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net> (Re: [Leica] Cartier-Bresson Chafes Over Photographs of His Well-Guarded Face)
Reply from Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com> (Re: [Leica] Cartier-Bresson Chafes Over Photographs of His Well-Guarded Face)