Subject: Re: [Leica] chess players / pro wrestlers in washington square park
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 21:45:02 -0400

Kyle Cassidy wrote:

> >I decided to go blow some film. (PKR) of the street near where I work.
> >(6th and Mission) There are a bunch of chess players on the street.
> >
> >So I took all three trusty Leica M6s and started shooting.
> >
> >Not more then 5 minutes and a gentleman (I use the term loosely)
> >
> last summer i tried to photograph some chess players in washington square
> park, one guy jumped up and clapped his hand over my camera lens and
> another guy started shrieking at me -- the guy with his hand over my lens
> said "you better get out of here now, some of these guys are crazy."
>
> there's something to be said for getting to know your subjects before you
> photograph them. i guess if i wanted to really do it, i should have spent
> a week there without my camera first.
>
> eh, who needs a superficial photo anyway....
>
> kc
Well you chess shooters obviously don't bathe or somethig heheheh.  I have
been photographing the chess players in Harvard Square for years with out any
difficulty. Course it helps that I am also one of the players.  Occasionally
someone will ask that their photo not be taken and I oblige. Check out my
webpage at http://sites.netscape.net/bosjohnusa/homepage.  Almost all the
chess shots were done with t 3c and summitar, or M3 with 35 summicron.  Also
there is a page of what I called art photos for lack of a better word.  Many
of these images were also Leica images.
John Shick