Subject: RE: [Leica] Texas Leica-on sale
From: Simon Stevens <simon@camera-craftsman.com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 10:38:38 -0500

Frank Filippone wrote:

>Robert White products, when impoorted into the USA, and shipped by UPS
or
>FedEx do get hit with US Duty.... about 3-4%.  Plus the inescapable
Customs
>Broker charges of another $50 or so.... If you have it sent US mail,
the
>USPS does not exact its pound of flesh at all.. Basically duty
free......

>The free duty is the English VAT that you do not have to pay... 15%...
or a
>rebate to you of 12%... Usually White already deducts that VAT when he
>quotes you.....

Actually, Frank, I'm not sure this is right. Lenses have a duty charge
of 2.3%, but still camera bodies do not (the rate is 0%). If you'd like
to look this up the information can be found here:

http://www.customs.treas.gov/impoexpo/impoexpo.htm

The HTS number for lenses is 90021190, for rangefinder cameras it's
90065290 and for SLRs it's 90065100. Be sure to look at the rates for
NPT countries. Unless you are ordering cameras from Iraq, you shouldn't
have to worry about the other. :-) Also, be aware that U.S. Customs and
customs brokers do make mistakes which is why the shipper needs to be
very clear in the product description.

You have been paying $50 in broker fees? When I ordered a 35mm asph from
Dr. Yao I paid duty plus a whole $5.00 in fees. I think you've been
ripped off on that one!

Now, as a separate issue, British VAT used to be 15% back when I ran a
camera store there. But it's now 17.5% (according to Ffordes when I
asked them about it a couple of weeks ago). They said that this is what
it is on new equipment but you don't get to deduct as much on used
equipment because "the rate is calculated on the profit margin." I used
to sell used cameras at the store in the UK back in the 80s and this is
a new one on me. Does anyone know if White does the same thing?

Simon Stevens