Subject: Re: [Leica] [LEICA] 'Upgrading' from R7 to R6.2 or R8
From: Gwpics@aol.com
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 02:40:26 EST

In a message dated 15-02-01 06:01:01 GMT Standard Time, ray_moth@yahoo.com
writes:

<< The R8, on the other hand, will have more auto modes and flexibility,
 wider range of shutter speeds, higher flash synch. speed, etc. over and
 above what the R7 already has. However, the R8 flash requirements are
 quite different and I would have to change all of my existing flash
 gear, as far as I know. I also don't know what difference it would make
 that none of my 3-cam R lenses has ROM.  >>

As a user of the R8 (I changed from Canon EOS1) I can strongly recommend the
camera and it has never failed to give me a good exposure provided I have
used it right. As I understand it your flash equipment will work fine but you
are better with the correct Metz SCA adapter. The rest of the Metz gear is OK
as far as I am aware. Your existing Metz module will work but not give you
the all the facilities, I think.

As for the non-ROM lenses these work fine but do not give some of the
information back to the camera when used in Flash mode although you can still
use through the lens flash metering etc. In all honesty, no one seems to be
able to tell me what difference the ROM makes, and everyone seems a bit
vague. All I know is that all my non-ROM lenses work fine with the camera.

The R8 has a five year guarantee if purchased through a legitimate source,
and Leica transferred that to me when I bought mine 6 months old, together
with the outstanding guarantee period on the lenses. This fact alone is one
of the factors that makes me think of Leica as a great company to deal with.
I appreciate that those users who are in the US may have some trouble, but
here in the UK they have been great.

Gerry

Gerry Walden (UK)
Tel: (0)23 8046 3076