Subject: Re: [Leica] Fw: Those fast 180 R lenses
From: "Tom Schofield" <tdschofield@email.msn.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2001 10:00:31 -0800

I handhold mine, as did its previous owner.  I also use it handheld with the
2x for 360mm f4.  The mass seems to steady it.  Left hand cradling the
tripod mount, fingers turn the focusing ring.  The focusing is so light,
that I just use my pinky to tweek the fine focus.  My forearms got sore the
first couple of times, but no pain, no gain, right!  Just do some wrist
curls with it while watching TV.  Verticals are easy, because you just
rotate it in the tripod mount.  You'd also be surprised how many things you
can find to steady it -- wall, pillar, left elbow tight against the rib
cage, left elbow on left knee, etc.

Tom

> And my final question, which is not intended to question the divinity of
Mr.
> Puts, whose incredible efforts I greatly appreciate: is the 180f2   really
> and truly   incapable of being hand-held? If the 280f2.8 was capable of it
> (it came with a palm-rest, no?), wouldn't the 180f2 also be managable?
With