Subject: [Leica] Austin Franklin: Baiter-at-Law
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 20:12:33 -0500

At 04:33 PM 3/10/2001 -0500, Austin Franklin wrote:
>Also, because there is no tort reform
>as of yet, lawyers are allowed to sue for ridiculous things...and are
>awarded ridiculous compensation for such.

Now, that statement both is hurtful to me, and is statistically meaningless.

The "ridiculous compensation" you speak of might involve 50 or 100
attorneys a year, out of a US population of some 200,000 or so attorneys.

And most attorneys (2/3?  1/2?) are making less than $60,000 a year.  I
haven't paid income tax in the past three years, though THIS year will be
slightly different.  (Go, Bush!  Tax Cut, Tax Cut, Rah, Rah, Rah!)

I would imagine that my average income over the past decade has been less
than the majority on this List.  But, I seem able to make ends meet and I
seem able to help people and I seem able to pay off some dramatic old debt
(NONE of it generated by buying Leica:  I had a former partner file
bankruptcy in 1990, and I got stuck with HER debt as well as mine).

But, please, don't start picking on lawyers again.  I really am sensitive
on the issue.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!