Subject: Re: [Leica] can m cameras be made more quiet?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 21:07:33 -0500

At 12:38 PM 3/11/2001 -0500, Dan Post wrote:
>I was dreaming the other day
>about Leica remaking the M3, or perhaps an M4, with the nice .91X
>viewfinder, no meter for those of us who actually carry handheld meters, and
>perhaps adding 35mm framelines! I imagine they could sell it for what an M6
>would sell for, and since there seems to be a lot of demand for the M3-M4-
>not just as a collectible, but as a wonderful user.

Dan

They most certainly could NOT sell such a camera for the price of the
current M6.  They probably could sell it for about three times as much,
however.

The reasons?  Manifold, ranging from workforce (most of Leica's experienced
assemblers retired between 1965 and 1970, a combination of old age and war
pensions) to components (the M3 and M4 had a slew of adjustable components
while the M4-2, M4-P, and M6/M6TTL have "go/no-go" components) to the
availability of outside CLA shops (immensely common up to the 1970's, rare
today).

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!