Subject: [Leica] WE WUZ ROBBED!
From: GERALD HAUSSLER <GHAUSSLE@email.usps.gov>
Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 20:33:19 -0600

     Marc / Mary;

     this is one subject that _really_ gets my grapes in a bunch,
     if you get my drift.
     maybe i'm naive, but my take is that an editor wouldn't DREAM
     of publishing "copy" without the author's byline. yet, photos
     are published without same on a routine basis regardless
     of any warning to the contrary, byline requirements, copyright
     info etc., etc., ad nauseum.
     (also, i have heard it rumored that you don't get bylines, even
     if there may be pay involved, in a union newspaper because of
     union regulations. can anyone comment on this ?)
     i suppose i fall into the serious ameture category as shooting
     is not my primary form of income. the first few times
     this happened, i was glad to be published, i inserted a
     tear-sheet into my portfolio & called it a day. 25-30 years
     later the novelty has worn off. what's the difference 100 years
     from now ? the difference is that editors will STILL be treating
     photographers as invisible. setting an example wouldn't bother
     me a bit. where might i send contributions to the cause ?

     sincerely

     jerry (trying to get my grapes unbunched) haussler

     www.zephyrblau.com

     p.s. i wonder how Jim Marshall handles this type of thing ?