Subject: [Leica] paler shades of grey
From: "Robert Appleby Personal" <rob@robertappleby.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 09:22:46 +0100

Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 14:04:13 -0800
From: "jbflesher" <jbflesher@email.msn.com>
Subject: [Leica] =?iso-8859-1?Q?Re:_=5BLeica=5D_Voigtl=E4nder_VC_Meter?=

Matt:

An incident reading is almost identical to a reflected reading off of a gray
card (zone V). But depending on your skin color, your palm can be from
neutral (zone V) to a stop over (zone VI).

Jack

I used this a lot with an SLR but with the M I find it a bit tricky, you
have to guess at such close range where the spot is. At that point it
becomes quicker to haul out the incident meter - preferably old-style
without batteries. I find my newer flash meter (sekonic flashmaster 406 or
some such I think) a real pain as it takes about three seconds to power up.
It also has a very unintuitive display. The old studio master looks funkier
and is always ready, although not so good for dim light. But I find the
incident metering to be more useful in bright high contrast lighting anyway,
in dim light the M6 does an excellent job. And since I converted to M6 I
hardly use separate meters at all now.

Still, nice that photography reduces us all to grey. Maybe everyone should
be a photographer and ban discrimination on grounds of colour.

I find there's about a half stop difference between my palm (+ .5 stop) and
an Indian palm (+ 0 stop). Since I only use my palm, there's nothing to
remember!

Rob.