Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Off topic: finding a portrait studio
From: "Michael E. Bérubé" <MEB@goodphotos.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 22:45:15 -0500

Mark Rabiner wrote sensibly:
>The best way would be to look at their work and meet them.
>But you do do the "you took these pictures?" and "you will also be
>shooting our
>pictures?" routine as it is so popular in the cruel world.

And then he went off on a tangent with the standard generalizations about
wedding photographers.

If you want to assume the worst in every photographer you meet, take all of
Mark's advice about how to choose a wedding photographer and assume that
everyone you speak with is out to just get your money for the least amount
of effort or craft by selling you scholck.

If you are interested in finding a photographer who cares about your
wedding and the final product, look for photographers who will show you an
example up front of an entire wedding (or two) that they've shot in an
album and print sizes just like they offer, so that you know exactly what
to expect with your own purchase. Ask them for references from last year's
clients. Ask for references from your friends and relatives who have gotten
married in the last several years. Word of mouth is the best way to find
the photographers who care about what they do and the best way to avoid the
dirtbags. (WOM advertising makes up nearly 70% of my new business with
Internet leads from my site now filling the other 30%.)

Read and understand every single word of the agreement before you sign it
or hand over a penny. If there is ANYTHING that you don't like, have it
removed, remedied or choose someone else. If there is a specific
photographer from a 'studio' whom you want to work with, make sure that you
have it in writing that unless s/he is in the hospital dying they will be
doing the shooting. If you aren't planning on many enlargements larger than
8X10, film for today's 35mm cameras and fine lenses should be more than
adequate to record your day. You also may consider a professional who
shoots "work for hire" and is paid by the hour. They aren't interested so
much in the upsell of specific 'money shots' later and will be more open to
trying something new once in a while. They are generally also more open to
allowing (sometimes even helping) other folks at your wedding in shooting
better pictures. This lessens the burden on the B&G to supply photos for
everyone, and serves as a backup should anything happen to the original
professional images. (In the Lab of course!) If you go the traditional
route, beware the 'no other photographers' clause that many 'pros' use to
protect their resales, it may mean that Aunt Sally can't take her own
photographs of the cake cutting etc... without a hassle from the 'pro.'

Know your enlargement options and costs before signing.

See to any other detail that is important to you about a photographer
(having him/her in a tux, etc...) Then you pays your money and take your
chances. If you get burned, show and tell everyone you know (and every
other wedding vendor whom you dealt with) what a poor ass job the fool who
burned you did and why. Bad word of mouth is far more detrimental to
getting new business than good word of mouth is in getting it.

Those are my recommendations.
Carpe Luminem,
Michael E. Bérubé

Message from Brian Reid <reid@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us> (Re: [Leica] Off topic: finding a portrait studio)