Subject: Re: [Leica] Leico .. & New Topic Macro Flash
From: Andrew Schroter <schroter@optonline.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 09:23:12 -0700

Jonathan Eastland in his book "Leica R8" (Hove Books, 1997 - ISBN
1-897802-099) (P84) writes:
"Using objectives fitted with the special ROM module, information about
focal length is transmitted to the camera CPU enabling SCA 3501 flash units
to automatically zoom the correct reflector size."  Eastland lists six other
features of SCA 3501 compatibility with the R8 in the same section of the
book.

By the way, Novoflex will provide a SCA 3501 adapter  mid year, enabling the
Novoflex's Macro flash unit to be used with the 3501.  I've been interested
in a good approach to Macro flash with the R8.  Neither Tamarkin nor B&H
have been able to offer any ideas for flash equipment to support R8/Macro.
I find the SF20 to leave shadows on some flowers because of the angle of
incidence of the light source from the flash.  I've been photographing
Orchids using slow slide films (KC25,64,EK 100,  Ilford 50, Fuji Velvia) and
the available light has not been adequate at f2.8/5.6 (100mm APO without and
with Elpro).  In the situations I've been in, moving the flowers into open
daylight is not an option.

Does anyone have any suggestions re Macro flash support for the R8?